The Church of Saint Michel is one of the oldest catholic places of worship in Budapest, dating back to the second half of the 18th century. It was built as a Dominican church, and the mark of this order is still visible. Thus, a statue rendering Saint Dominic, as well as the main alter which also depicts Saint Dominic being handed a rosary by Virgin Mary, next to a plethora of statues representing several other figures of saints and popes, all these remind of the time when the church was entrusted to the Dominican order.

Other decorative elements of this single-nave church date back to more recent times, but one can rightfully assume some of the decorative heritage was lost during the fires and the repeated restoration works the edifice underwent in time.

Several Baroque statues sit on top of the organ. The organ, for that matter, was built in early 19th century, but it too was repeatedly restored.

Name:
Church of Saint Michael (Szent Mihaly-Templom)
Address:
47/B, Vaci utca, 1056, Budapest, Hungary
Telephone:
0036 1 3378116
Website:
www.szentmihalytemplom.hu

47/B, Vaci utca, 1056, Budapest, Hungary

Go to top