The Liberty Bridge of Budapest is, it too, one of the oldest bridges linking Buda and Pest. It was built a little before the turn of the century, more precisely, between 1894 and 1896, and its opening was an event to which Emperor Franz Joseph himself attended, who symbolically nailed the last silver rivet into the Pest bridgehead. This is precisely why, at first, the bridge was named after the emperor.

A notable peculiarity of Szabadsag Hid is it mimics the looks of a chain bridge, but its inner structure is completely different. Janos Feketehazy, the architect in charge with designing the bridge, wanted to build in the spirit of the most fashionable trends, as they were deemed back then. This was also the reason for the abundant decorative patrimony of the bridge.

Subsequently to World War Two, and due to the serious damages, the bridge was restored, but it was only between 2007 and 2009 that all the traces of the war and the further wear were erased, the bridge being virtually completely restored in the spirit of its original structural and decorative identity.

Name:
Liberty Bridge (Szabadsag Hid)
Address:
Budapest, Hungary

Szabadsag Hid, Budapest, Hungary

Go to top