The history of the Inner City Franciscan Church of Budapest goes back to as early as the 13th century, when the site of the current place of worship was filled by the original Franciscan edifice. However, the medieval church (and monastery, for that matter) was destroyed during the Turk invasion, in the early 16th century. The edifice was subsequently rebuilt by the Franciscan monks, but deprived of its initial function of serving as a catholic place of worship, being turned into a mosque.

The current state of the church is the result of the restoration works carried out during the 18th century, when the edifice gained, as far as its architectural features are concerned, a Baroque quality which distinguishes the structure from the surrounding architectural landscape.

The Communist regime brought yet other 4 decades of gloominess to the church, but since 1990, the edifice has been a fully functional place of worship.

Name:
Inner City Franciscan Church (Belvarosi Ferences Templom)
Address:
9, Ferenciek tere, 1053, Budapest, Hungary
Telephone:
0036 1 3173322
Fax:
0036 1 3173970
Email:
pestiferences@ofm.hu
Website:
pestiferences.ofm.hu

9, Ferenciek tere, 1053, Budapest, Hungary

Go to top